"Motown: The Classic Days" Spring Dance Performance, May 2015
The Fine Arts Program consists of three interrelated disciplines: art, dance, and music. All Fine Arts teachers work together and are supportive of each other’s individual programs and activities. Often, all three programs come together to showcase the students’ talents. All Carmel Campus students participate in art, dance, and music classes and special events, such as the annual Art Show.
The Fine Arts Program utilizes Keck Auditorium at the Pebble Beach Campus for several Carmel Campus performances throughout the year, including the Winter Performance and Spring Music Concert, and Spring Dance Performance. The art, dance, and music programs provide a rich and engaging curriculum that encourages students to challenge themselves—to look beyond their horizons, to develop new skills, to take risks, and to dream.
Guidelines for the Arts Curriculum
- The arts are essential to the education of all students.
- Students exercise and display multiple intelligences through the arts.
- Understanding of human growth and development shapes effective arts curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Comprehensive and sequential arts programs encourage students to make multicultural and interdisciplinary connections.
- Authentic assessment in the arts is designed to demonstrate what students know and can do; it provides a model for assessing all complex learning.
- Creating and sustaining high quality arts programs require partnerships among all faculty and between the school and community.