The lower division Arts Program consists of three interrelated disciplines: art, dance, and music. Arts teachers work in concert to support each other’s programs and activities often collaborating to showcase students’ talents. Lower division students participate in performances at Keck Auditorium (Grades 1-4) and the Art Show in the Rosen Student Center on the Pebble Beach Campus. The arts programs provide a rich and engaging curriculum that encourages students to challenge themselves—to look beyond their horizons, to develop new skills, to take risks, and to dream.
Guidelines for the Arts Curriculum
- The arts are essential to the education of all students.
- Students exercise and display multiple intelligences through the arts.
- Understanding of human growth and development shapes effective arts curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Comprehensive and sequential arts programs encourage students to make multicultural and interdisciplinary connections.
- Authentic assessment in the arts is designed to demonstrate what students know and can do; it provides a model for assessing all complex learning.
- Creating and sustaining high quality arts programs require partnerships among all faculty and between the school and community.