A Message from the Head of the Lower and Middle Divisions
Though the past eighteen months have challenged the world, Stevenson’s spirit and achievements have provided daily inspiration and a beacon of hope for the future, and we are emerging from the pandemic’s shadow as an even stronger, wiser, and more unified learning community. I am deeply proud of Stevenson’s middle division’s success in this regard, and it is my pleasure to welcome you to this section of the School’s website and to invite you to learn more about us.
Recent developments of note in the middle division include:
- A revised daily schedule that takes account of middle division (grades 5-8) students’ developmental range:
- 60-minute classes on a ten-day rotation
- Daily individual learning support for each student
- Daily participation in physical education, music, dance, or art
- Grade-level cross-curricular projects that promote application of multiple skills across academic subjects
- Integrated service learning experiences
- A new physical education curriculum
- Increased opportunities for family education as parents and guardians navigate their child’s early adolescence
A great deal of the credit for our achievements over the past year and a half is owed to the exceptional creativity and flexibility with which our teachers navigated remote instruction. Their dedication to their craft ensured our students’ steady engagement and sustained progress as learners, which meant that everyone was superbly well prepared to hit the ground running upon our return to campus in early April. During the eight joyous weeks we spent in one another’s company this spring, we all observed the results of this preparation across the full range of our students’ studies, from reading and writing to math and science.
I invite you to learn more about Stevenson. In doing so, I am confident that you will discover that we are a unique community, guided by core values and a powerful sense of partnership, characterized by mutual respect and trust.
Molly K. Bozzo
Head of the Lower and Middle Divisions