To provide differentiated instruction that meets needs of individual students, the middle division provides additional training, materials, and coaching to support teachers’ and parents' ability to understand, prepare for, and accommodate all learners.
- Director of Curriculum and Instruction
- Middle Division Pirate Planners
- Materials & Supplies List
- School Policies
Stevenson’s director of curriculum and instruction provides support to students and parents at the Carmel Campus, such as:
- Offering parent education nights
- Collaborating with teachers about curriculum and instruction, materials, assessments and optimizing student outcomes
- Coordinating appropriate learning support for individual student needs
- Considering best practices in teaching and learning to support professional development for teachers, curriculum for all learners, and assessment to support an engaged learning environment
- Considering accessibility in curriculum (executive functioning tools, audio books, screen readers, voice typing)
- Overseeing study strategies, standardized testing (MAP, SSAT), and office hours
- Offering parents a forum to communicate about their children's individual learning needs
- Providing educational testing and monitoring accommodations
- Offering dedicated educational support and advocacy with parents, teachers, and standardized testing agencies
- Referring families to private tutors as needed
- Communicating with the Counseling Resource Center at the Pebble Beach Campus to facilitate a smooth transition to the high school
Part of academic success is organization. Students receive a plan book called the Pirate Planner in which they maintaining a written record of all school assignments. It is important for both parents and teachers to periodically check student plan books to make sure that they are being used effectively.
The Stevenson School library is a comprehensive system spanning two campuses, designed to introduce students to the world of reading and research and to instill in them a delight in learning as they reach for academic success. To visit the online library, click here.
The cost of all required materials and supplies is included in tuition. During the first week of school, middle division students will receive materials that include:
- Binder paper
- Composition books
- Dance uniforms (leotards, tights, jazz pants, and appropriate shoes)*
*These materials will be distributed to students in September. Grade 8 students are required to use graphing calculators. Student accounts will be billed for this item, only. If textbooks, calculators, or any elements of the dance uniform are lost, families are responsible for replacement.
Students are expected to have personalized items such as:
- A Globe-Weis® Fabric Poly expanding letter file available at Amazon.
- 2-3 Packs of Binder Dividers
- Highlighters, pencils, pens, and sharpies
- Pencil cases
- Metal mess kit for use on Age of Sail and Science Camp (a sleeping bag and a metal mess kit that includes: an 8-12 inch plate or bowl, cup for for hot/cold drinks, and silverware).