As a member of the Stevenson School community with a role in the global fight against COVID-19, it is my duty to protect those around me-—especially those who are more vulnerable—by acting in a responsible manner at all times.
I will do my part to limit the spread of COVID-19 by making my own health and safety and that of others a priority.
I understand that I must adopt behaviors that advance our collective ability to reduce the transmission of COVID-19.
I agree to abide by all policies, procedures, and orders related to COVID-19 implemented by the state, county, and School.
Specifically, I pledge to:
- Begin adhering to The Pirate Pledge today, whether or not I intend to return for campus instruction this semester, and continue to do so vigilantly until the virus is determined by local public health authorities to be sufficiently under control that its provisions are no longer necessary.
- Wear an appropriate face covering in all shared community spaces, as directed.
- If and when I am off campus, avoid large gatherings and environments in which people are not observing recommended behaviors, such as wearing masks and practicing physical distancing.
- Practice good personal hygiene consistent with public health protocols, such as frequent hand washing with soap for twenty seconds, appropriately covering coughs and sneezes, use of hand sanitizers before and after leaving campus buildings, and wiping down surfaces myself when arriving at and upon leaving a community space.
- Receive a seasonal influenza shot, and a COVID-19 vaccine, once it becomes available.
- Support my immune system by getting 8-9 hours of sleep each night, eating healthy food, and drinking plenty of water.
- Abide by protocols established for hygiene in the use of public bathrooms.
- Follow directional signs on pathways and in buildings.
- Maintain whenever feasible a distance of six feet between myself and any other person, with the understanding that I do not have to maintain six feet distance from my immediate family members, or, if a boarding student, my roommate within my own room.
- Respond cooperatively and respectfully to reminders, and provide gentle reminders to peers and adults who appear to need them.
- Use the designated web-based tool to accurately report the results of personal daily symptom checks, including body temperature.
- Remain at home (or in my dormitory room) and notify an appropriate adult if I experience COVID-19 symptoms.
- Follow instructions if I test positive for COVID-19 and am required to isolate, or if I learn that I have come into close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 and am required to quarantine.
- Participate in the School’s COVID-19 asymptomatic testing requirements, as they evolve.
- Participate in the School’s contact tracing program as requested and share complete information with contact tracers about others who may be exposed.
I understand that my failure to adhere to The Pirate Pledge may put others at considerable risk, and—if nothing else—places peers and School employees in the unwelcome position of policing my behavior.
If I am unable to honor my pledge, I will remove myself from campus and complete the semester remotely. If I do not take this step myself, I understand that I may forfeit the privilege of remaining on campus and, in order to promote health and safety, the School may take administrative action to prohibit me from participating in any campus activities, including residency.